Monday, July 9, 2012

This time is different

Everyone has that moment in their lives where the realization of something BIG happens.  For me...that was about 3 weeks ago.

I saw my parents (I will talk more about them, and their impact on my weight another day).  And they are OLD.  Chronologically, they are 62 (Dad) and almost 68 (Mom).  But they are OLD.  They act old.  They have so many medical problems I couldn't even begin to name them all.  They look frail.  They are OLD.

They "think" they take care of themselves.  This involves a zillion and one doctors, and more prescriptions than a pharmacy fills in a day.  This is taking care of themselves in their mind.  What it is, is being reactive.  Something goes wrong, and they go to the doctor, have a procedure, get some meds.  This game they play....it is on-going.  This is really all they do.  They don't travel, they don't exercise, they don't do ANYTHING.

Well, I don't want to live my life like that.  I am only 37, and I plan on living at least another 50 years.  And I want to have a FULL life.  I want to travel, and go bungee jumping, and have life experiences.  Right now....I have none of that.  While I am constantly busy, I don't have a LIFE.

So, this means an overhaul of many things in my life.  Food.....exercise......and letting go of my past.  My body needs to shrink....but my emotional health needs to grow.  Some of these things are intertwined.  It isn't going to be easy...but it is going to be worth it.



1 comment: